Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kate's Post on Budgets...a must read!

I loved Kate's post!!!! Check her out on my list of fav's to visit.

I just had a discussion with a friend about working part-time or staying at home...my response "not with the lifestyle we are used of living" and now I read Kate's post and feel like it could be done (with serious life changes).

Once I graduated school and started paying off loans I soon realized that I would be working for a long time (the joys of going to school in the USA when our dollar was worth 54 cents) but when it is paid off we could probably afford for me to work part-time.

I must admit that I do waste money! I love designer jeans and starbucks chai tea! both crazy expensive...but my new years resolution has been to take my lunch to work (a savings of $250 plus dollars a month)! I also buy my girls millions of things they don't need (especially whil shopping at Superstore)!!! I used to spend crazy amounts of scrapbook supplies and now have a stash the size of Michaels! All things I don't need, but like and want.

Just this week while shopping with Rhys I told her that she could pick one grocery treat (this was hard to do) she must have changed her mind a million times!!! "I want mini-eggs"..."I want cookies instead of mini eggs"..."I want ice-cream instead of cookies". This was hard, but I was so impressed when she said in the truck "maybe next time I will pick ice-cream". I think that too many times we give kids (and ourselves) everything we want instead of what we need.

The more I type the more I realze the things that could change.

What could you change to save a little money???


I really need to talk to Kate more about a budget!
She amazes me!!!! As do all families that can make it on one salary or have a wife work part-time!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start using cash for groceries...hopefully this will help us buy only what we need!

Jerri-Lea said...

I read her post too! Maybe she'd like to give us a workshop!!
We cut down on a lot for me to only work half time. We tuned in the lease car, bought a used one and I don't have daycare. We have the same amount of money to pay bills and such AND I get to be home in the afternoon with CD and pick CJ up from school!

Jenn said...

Loved Kate's post! And it served as a great little reminder. We do use a budget and I am a planner - plan meals for 2 weeks on a Sunday and shop on a Monday (I plan based around what we have first).

sassy said...

Hi Ya Pam! I loved that post too! I am a budget girl too but have slipped this past year with back to school,orderign pizza is too easy- I am aimming for april to be back on the budget bus of following the weekly menu plan. I miss the community kitchens the gals had-we made meals 6 frugal but really yummy meals in one night for 6 families! Must do again!

Saucy said...

I'm a big time budget girl, as you know. Yes, I lurrve a splurge, but if I can make it myself or go without, I try. I like to "refashion" my wardrobe. I use coupons all the time. You know about my penchant for the Dollar Stores. I really don't do Starbucks and all that too often... that being said, we do need to get together over coffee sometime soon!

When the kids were small, I always had yard sales and sold their toys when they outgrew them because they were in great shape and I could still get a pretty penny for them. I sold their clothes at consignment too. I was a single mom and a student back then so I had a few tricks up my sleeve.

Kate said...

You go Pam! Geesh...I didn't know my ramblings would cause such a stir! Good to see gals. We live on a modest income and I don't really truly feel the "pinch" at all. Yeah, I wish I could go to Starbucks even weekly...I wish I could buy hoards of scrapbooking stuff like I used to. I SO wish my wardrobe looked even half as good as yours Pam! But really...what do we need? Love. Companionship. Contentment. And what do our children need? Time. Hugs. Fresh chocolate chip cookies from Mummy's oven and popsicles in the summertime. We have to lead by example. I am working on it a little each day! And each one of you is always welcome at my table for tea. Anytime.